Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Shaman's Medicine Bag

By Donald Findley

            The Native American people had extensive knowledge of the natural world and the uses of it as it applies to the healing art.  The Shaman also known as the medicine man, was the one responsible for healing the people of his tribe.  The Shaman used multiple methods of treating the people including chanting, vision quest, and herbs.  I will be addressing some of the myriad of herbs that these homeopathic healers used.
The Winnebago and the Dakota tribes used Skunk Cabbage to treat asthma. It helps to remove the phlegm as an expectorant works that we use today such as Robitussin.







Horsemint has been used to treat back pain, fever, inflammation, and chills.













Yellow-Spined thistle was used on burns and open sores on the skin.






Boneset was frequently used by several different tribes for different illness’ such as body pain, fever, and stomachache

















Goldenseal used by the Cherokee as an insect repellant and as a stimulant.

.



Feverwort was used to treat fever in the Cherokee tribes.















American Mistletoe has been used in a tea to prevent conception and to cause abortions.













Witch Hazel was used on people that had muscle pain from sporting events.











Now imagine you are the Shaman of the tribe and people come to you with the following complaints. What would you use to treat them from the above herbs using the least herbs for each person? The answers are at the end of the blog.
1) I was running sprints and playing ball, my legs hurt.
2) I have a high temperature and I ache all over.
3) I need something to keep the mosquitoes off me.
4) I am really congested and it is hard to breath.
5) I got burnt making a canoe.

Answers 1) Witch Hazel 2) Boneset 3) Goldenseal 4) Skunk Cabbage 5) Yellow-Spined Thistle
Herbs can be grown and prepared by people in their own yard and gardens as an ornamental plant and then harvested for the medical applications.  I highly encourage people to research each herb before using it or preparing it themselves, because some parts of the plant are poisonous and others parts are not.  There are many different places to get the prepared forms of the herbs covered in this blog and my previous blogs covering conditions such as back pain, influenza, and common colds.  The following is a list of just a few places.

Nature’s Wonderland Complete Herb Listing

Mother Herbs & Agro Products

Annie’s Remedies



Reference
Cherokee Messenger, (1996). Native American herbal remedies. Houston, TX: The Cherokee Cultural Society of Houston.



 

12 comments:

  1. Nice job Donald. I liked the pictures and great information. It seems funny how mistletoe is used now during the Xmas season for decoration and puckering up to. Yet, centuries ago it was used for something totally different! I never knew that little tidbit. Thanks.

    Cary Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cary,
    Thanks for the nice comment. I thought it would amaze people how the use of many things over the years have changed.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donald Findley,
    Very informative!I enjoyed this post I learned something new today.I really like that you included the pictures to each plant when you where explaining what there purpose was.
    Jaycin Firestone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donald,
    I loved the question and answer game, nice touch!! The only one that I've heard of is witch hazel. Very informative, I learned a lot!!

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaycin and Suzanna,
    Thanks for your nice commments I was hoping people would like a more interactive type of blog. I think it helps people remember the info a little more. Thanks!

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donald,
    Great use of pictures and thanks for the information! The Q&A game at the end was nice as well!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie,
    Thanks for the comment. I am finding people like the pics and the question section it has a visual appeal and involves the reader more.
    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the others I really liked the way you did your post. I found the information very interesting. I have always been interested in the products of nature and how people have used them in the past. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don,
    I love reading about what Indians use for remedies. I think they are some of the wisest people. Nice job with the pictures and uses. Knowing what the herbs look like could make it easier to find them.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda and Samantha,
    Thanks for reading my post. I have always been amazed by what the Native people used for treating themselves, this gave me the opportunity to share some of what I have learned over the years. Thanks!

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don,

    As others have, I thought the question and answer thing you did was very neat. I enjoyed reading about some of these plants and what purposes they have been used in daily life. If I ever wanted to try these, I would most likely buy from a store since I don't know much about harvesting plants.

    Good Post,
    Richard Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard,

    Thanks for commenting. I think most people would be better-off buying herbs, people can miss identify them. I have found it to be quite difficult to id some of the plants. I photograph all kind of them and it can take me a long time to id them because they look so much alike.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete