Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Atkin's Diet!

Many of you know that dieting is not the easiest thing to do for long periods of time.  People get bored with eating the same things over and over.  My little sister weighed 183 pounds just six months ago. She started Atkins and now weighs 146 pounds. She is 12 years old and now, thanks to the weight loss and the Atkins diet, lives a healthy normal lifestyle.

Hunger is controlled through Atkins by eliminating the peaks and valleys of blood sugar levels that stimulate hunger and cause people to over eat.  This is done by restricting the amount of carbohydrates consumed in a day.  People that I know that have used the Atkins diet say they never feel deprived because they eat when they are hungry.  They know that their hunger is a true hunger because their bodies need nourishment and not because they are fulfilling some kind of craving.  They enjoy a large variety of foods and feel that they can live the Atkins lifestyle the rest of their lives.

In Atkins people eat foods high in protein and do not limit their fat intake.  Healthy fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, cabbage, melons, and berries help to balance the diet. A person on this diet might eat eggs for breakfast, a spinach salad with avocado, bacon bits, and cheese for lunch,  and a steak with broccoli and cantalope for dinner. Low carb bars provide great snacks during the day, as well as low carb shakes.  The dieter eats as much as he/she wants and does not limit the amount of food they eat, just the carbohydrates being consumed. 

Some people may think it is hard to pass up french fries, bread, and potatoes, but within a few days of starting the diet, Atkins followers find they no longer crave these things.  The people I know that have tried Atkins say it is easy!  They can even have dessert as long as it is sugar free.  Even eating out at restaurants can work for those on Atkins. 

I have seen this diet work miracles with my mother and my sister.  They are more confident, happy, and healthy. Even though my mother is at her goal weight she still continues to use this diet because she loves the food! It has more than just the impact of weigh loss on a person's life.  The emotional benefits of finally gaining control of a situation that seemed hopeless are an added benefit to the physical improvements.  To learn more about this diet go to www.Atkin's.com.


By:  Kendra McCracken

Source: My mother, Mary Kay McCracken

13 comments:

  1. Kendra,
    I think this a great way to lose inches off your body. I know several people that have used it to fit into a dress because of how fast a person can lose the extra inches around the belly area. Good job.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra,
    I have heard of the Atkins diet but have not tried it myself. It does not seem like a hard diet to follow. I love fresh fruits and veggies so this may be my weight loss answer. I am going to check out the website. Congrats to both your sister and mother and thanks for sharing this information.
    Tina Dull

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra,

    Your blog is very informational and I love your information to back up the atkins diet. Your family members experiences support the fact that it does work. good job.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra,

    I also know a few people who have done the Atkins diet and it worked for them just in a few short weeks. I hope it continues to work for your family. Thanks for the information.

    Cary Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra,
    First I would like to say congratulations to your sister! It must have been very hard! Some of my family are Atkins followers and because of the diet my father no longer has to take as many medications that he did before. Will you be writing about different diets in the future? Christina C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Yes it has been a life changing experience for the both of them I am so happy that they found a diet to stick to. It is a good way to loose inches and help with medical problems. I do not know if I will write so much about dieting in the future such as my own experiences with differtent diets and excercise. It continues to work.Thank you all for the wonderful feedback.
    Kendra McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendra,

    I have tried many diets in the past, but have never been able to stick to it. I think that no matter what diet plan you choose to follow, the most important thing is to have the willpower to stay on track. I'll have to check this diet out and see if I could make it work for me. Congrats to your family and their success, and nice job on this post.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendra

    I am glad your mom and sister found a diet that worked out for them. Congradulations! I have read a few things about the Atkins Diet but I never knew anyone who actually used it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it is worth trying if your looking into a diet that can work they even make low carb pasta. My mom and my sister are both doing so well on it I am proud of them both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendra, I also felt the personal connection to the topic worked here. I would have loved to hear more from your sister. It seems being on a diet at that age would be so difficult, especially with school lunches and birthday parties and so on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendra,
    Loved your blog!! A great post that everyone can relate to. I never tried it, but heard many things about it. Sorry your sister had to deal with that at such a young age. But glad to hear she got control of her life!!

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally think that you should eat how you want to eat, but I thought the article was well done. I know that many people just like your mother and sister use this diet plan and it works for many people. I doubt that I will ever use the diet, but it is nice to know that it helps and that it is there if I do need it. Great post.

    Richard Jordan

    ReplyDelete