Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Basics of Nutritional Consultation

By:  Samantha

          As you all know, I recently visited a Nutritional Consultant.  His name is Dan McPherson, and he is very personable.  Though my family doctor is a very nice man, he was only checking basic things to find the cause of my ills (blood pressure, blood work, etc.).  It was nice to finally meet someone who listened to what I had to say instead of just going by paperwork.  Just because something does not show up in traditional test results does not mean that there is nothing wrong.  Sometimes we need to step outside of traditional practices to find a solution.
The first step in this process was telling Dan about the problems I have been having.  After jotting down my information, he told me what he expected to see in the tests he would be conducting.  The first test, Electro-Acupuncture Testing (EAV), is somewhat like Acupuncture used by Chinese doctors but is noninvasive.  This test consists of the patient holding a brass cylinder (Ground Electrode) while Dan applies a Point Probe to different points on the patient’s hands and feet.  These points are a way of indicating irritation, inflammation, or weakness in a certain part of the body via energy flow.  Each point is associated with a specific organ or gland.  The Ground Electrode and Point Probe deliver a small amount of electricity, not even felt by the patient, which detects the energy flow.  These devices are connected to a computer which takes the information they provide and turns it into a chart.  This chart, much like a bar graph, shows which regions of the body are not in balance.
          After seeing the results on this chart, Dan then performs a second test called Nutritional Autonomic Response Testing.  This was the most interesting part of the visit.  I was asked to lie on a table (like you would see in a physician’s office) and hold the arm closest to him straight up in the air.  He then pressed gently with one hand on weakened areas, indicated by the chart from the first test, and tried to push my arm down with the other hand while I tried to resist him moving my arm.  When he pressed on a problem area, I could not keep my arm in the air.  It was like some kind of magic trick I could not figure out; I was very surprised.  After finding these areas, he placed on my stomach glass tubes containing substances that may be causing a problem (i.e. parasites, fragrance, fungi, dairy, etc.).  Upon discovery of what substances were trouble makers, he replaced the first set of glass tubes with a second set containing supplements which could correct the weaknesses.
          Knowing what areas of my body were out of balance, what substances may be causing the imbalance, and what supplements may help, Dan wrote a recommendation of supplements he thought I should try.  His recommendation also included the dosage and time of day to take them.  Conveniently, all of these supplements can be found in a store called “Back to Nature” which is in the same complex as Dan’s office.  Though I was not sure what to expect when I first walked into the office, I came out feeling that someone finally validated that there is a reason for the problems I have.  This was an eye-opening experience and I hope that all of you who are suffering will consider nutritional consultation as an option.  To read more about Dan McPherson and his practice, go to http://www.danmcpherson.weebly.com/.  Also, check out my next blog on March 21, 2011 pertaining to my specific ailments and some natural ways to help relieve them.  Please be aware that I will not be able to respond to comments until late March 24, 2011 due to my work schedule.  Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Samantha,
    I liked reading about this and you have captured my attention.I can't wait to read more about this topic, I have never heard of such testing. Sounded a lot like reflexology.
    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha,

    I've never heard of any of these tests and their very interesting. I never knew there were such ways to detect illness. Im glad you got your situation figured out.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha,
    That was a great post!! It was very educational to inform people of non typical solutions to their health conerns. Is it expensive or is it covered by insurnace?

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very interesting, I had no idea such tests even existed. A lot of people do not go to the doctor for their health concerns due to moeny or insurance issues. The solutions you gave are wonderful. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    Kendra McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone. I'm glad you all found my post interesting. I was also unaware of anything like this until my appointment. I don't know if I've ever heard of Reflexology, but I'll have to look it up. I'm not sure about all Nutritional Consultants, but Dan doesn't take insurance. Each visit only costs $40, which isn't bad at all. Buying the supplements is the expensive part. Thanks for the feedback!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha, this is just another great post. Mostly the topic is doing great things for you because we all find it so fascinating. That's one of the keys to good writing. But also you so naturally narrate the story for us, and people love stories. Very well-done. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha, these tests are a very interesting option to finding out what imbalances you may have that other doctors could not find. I'm interested in finding out how the supplements will improve the symptoms you are experiencing. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tamara,
    Thank you for your kind words; they are very encouraging. I'm glad you liked my post and hope to keep the interest of all readers in the future.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda,
    Thank you for your interest. You should go see Dan and see what recommendations he might have for you. :)
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete