Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

High Cholesterol, I'll Fix That

By: Donald Findley
            Have you ever gone to the doctor and found out that you have high cholesterol, and the first thing the doctor does is write a prescription for some drug or combination of drugs?  This very thing happened to me about a year ago.  To my doctor’s surprise, I ask him about any natural ways of lowering my cholesterol.  Naturally, he said change my diet to a low fat diet, exercise, and take the prescription as ordered.
            When I got home, I did just the opposite of what he told me.  I went on a high protein low carbohydrate diet and never took any of the prescribed medication.  As a nurse, I had always been taught that our body consumes carbohydrates, fats, and then protein as energy sources.  I was determined to lower my cholesterol the natural way.
            My next thing was what herbs and foods could I use to lower my cholesterol and maintain a healthy level of it.  The following are the herbs and food items that I ate on a daily basis.
            Olive oil I would use three tablespoons a day on salads or anywhere else that I would  add some other type of oil or butter.
            Fiber is an excellent way to lower your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) the bad cholesterol. The source that I used was psyllium, a plant found in many over the counter bulk laxative sources.  I also ate vegetables with their skins left on to help increase the fiber I was consuming.  You should always stay well hydrated when increasing the amount of fiber that you consume. It can cause difficulty in having a bowel movement if you do not drink plenty of fluid.
             

Garlic I would use a whole clove of garlic a day in different foods that I ate.  Garlic is good for decreasing the LDL and increasing HDL (High-density lipoprotein) the  good cholesterol (Mindell, 1991, p.126).
           






Cayenne also known by capsicum, has been shown to reduce LDL and triglycerides in  a study published in the Journal of Bioscience in 1987.  I took two capsules  everyday one in the morning and one at night.
           







Shiitake mushrooms I ate this type of mushroom every day because it helps lower the bad cholesterol (Mindell, 1992, p. 159).
I had my cholesterol levels drawn two months later and returned to my doctor to get the results.  My LDL had dropped from 292 down to 148 and my HDL had gone up from 33 to 52.  The doctor said the prescription worked well and that I should continue taking it but at a lower dose.  I laughed and told the doctor that I never even took the medication and informed him of exactly what I did.  He was shocked and said, “No use writing another prescription, I’ll see you in six months.”
Sources
Mindell,E (1992). Earl Mindell’s herb bible. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster/ Fireside.
Mindell,E (1991). Earl Mindell’s vitamin bible. New York, NY:Warner Books.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Donald,
    Good job. You have a lot of good information in your blog. I am glad that you tried a natural way and it worked for you. I noticed in the 3rd sentence you have ask. Should it be asked?

    Cary Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    I thought the article was very informative and a good way of showing people the right way to do things. I wholeheartedly disdain the use of drugs to give you better health. I believe there is always an alternative and a better way of doing things. I believe you showed that in this article.

    Richard Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Donald,
    That is very informative information and it is good that you tried to do things the natural way. I never had that problem as yet but I will keep your advice in mind.

    Ruth Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cary, Ruth, and Richard,
    Thanks for for kind words concerning my blog. Yes Cary it should have been asked sorry. I hope other people will attempt to take their health into their own hands, rather than just taking medications that are not natural.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don,
    I loved the seperation of the natural remedies to help maintain cholesterol. The photos and colors were very well done. Great info!! I will keep this blog in mind if anyone needs help with their cholesterol.

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don,
    Great information and I love the pictures, kind of made me hungry! The whole set up of the blog was very nicely done! Keep up the good work!
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don,
    I'm glad to hear that you got your cholesterol under control. I love the food examples you give to help with this problem. Some people don't want to take any pills, including natural supplements, so it's good to know what foods you can comsume to help with health problems. Nice job.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your nice comments on my blog. I hope people realize that foods and herbs can be used to lower cholesterol and not just medications. Thanks again.

    Donald Findley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I previewed your rough draft and this one. You did a great job. I'm glad you included pictures. It was well organized and I think you really made it interesting.

    Kendra McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendra
    Thanks I think adding the pictures grabs more the eyes and interest people a little more.

    Donald Findley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don, first of all, great job of responding to your commenters here. Also, the blog was great, I thought. Great images and ideas for lowering cholesterol without medication. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments on my blog. I will continue to take your likes and suggestions into consideration while writing my blogs. Thanks.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don,
    I think it is great that you wanted to fix your cholesterol the natural way. It is important to stay healthy and you are a great example of doing that.
    Eric Cogovan

    ReplyDelete