Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If there is a will, there's a way!!

Everyone knows that losing weight and doing it the healthy way can be a challenge. I myself have struggled with this over the past few months and have finally found a good balance. I weighed one hundred and seventy eight pounds at eleven fifty nine pm on December 31, 2010. As of ten minutes ago I weighed one hundred and forty nine pounds. The gym has helped me achieve a lot and I think it could work for everybody.
I joined the Northern Blair County Recreational Center on January 3rd, 2011. I started going to the gym every day and pushing myself to the limit. I only consumed about 1200 calories a day. When I lost seven pounds in one week, I thought it would be faster if I started consuming less calories and working out harder. I was borderline anorexic. I only ate when I felt hungry and if I didn't feel hungry in a day I would not eat. On top of not eating I was running six to eight miles everyday. I had no energy at all and lost the first twenty pounds by February. I was pretty sick.
People started getting on my case about my significant weight loss in just only one month. I said there was nothing to worry about until the day I passed out at work from starvation and exhaustion. I admitted to myself then that I had a problem and that I needed to do something about it.
I started eating regularly and only going to the gym three to four times a week. I have only lost ten pounds since then, but I am doing it the healthy way.
What you eat is very important. When dieting you should consume no less than twelve hundred calories a day because if you do it puts your body into starvation mode. Eating things such as vegetables, fruit, and white meats is good for you. When dieting you should stay away from things such as sugar, red meats, cakes, and things fried in oil. The times you eat are also important. You should eat breakfast every morning to jump start your metabolism. Also you are not suppose to eat late because your metabolism slows right before you sleep at night and the more that you have in your stomach the slower it will break down the foods. When working out you should never work the same part of your body two days in a row. Cardio is the best way to loose weight, but toning is very important too. A few different things that you can try at the gym aren the elliptical, the tread mill, weight exercises, medicine balls, and the exercise bike.
Listening to music when you run may also help to pump you up and keep you motivated. My play-list consists of a lot of hip hop, and rap music. My favorite band to listen to when I am running is the Black Eyed Peas. Listening to auditory books can also be relaxing when you are running and working out. It is a great way to let go of stress and to clear your mind. It definitely can make you stronger mentally and physically. I know that I have gained a broader view on a lot of things from taking the time to think about it at the gym. I also know that I have gotten stronger because I can lift more and have built up more endurance.
I have achieved great results from starting this and keeping up with it is the hardest part of it. I love the way the gym has made me feel physically and mentally. I hope that I can keep it up! I have lost nearly thirty pounds and have turned my body into a machine. I am healthy now because I watch what I eat and a workout about an hour every other day.
What I use to eat in a day:
Breakfast croissant 300 calories
Two slices of pizza with ranch 500 calories plus 240
Two hamburgers 600 calories
French fries with ranch dressing 400 calories plus 240 calories
Chips 200 calories
I ate about 2500 calories everyday back in 2010!
What I eat today:
Two eggs and a piece of toast 240 calories
Smart meal such as chicken and potatoes 360 calories
Turkey sub 440 calories
Small salad with light Italian dressing 150 calories
Apple 100 calories
I eat anywhere from to 1200- 1500 calories a day. I run two miles everyday and I do toning. I look and feel great.

By: Kendra McCracken

15 comments:

  1. Hello Kendra,

    Good job. Stay consistent and stay healthy in your journey. I noticed you did not have any paragraphs? I liked how you shared your experiences. Good luck.

    Cary Bryson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra,
    I like that you gave the personal point of view with this topic, it helped the flow of the information. It was a bit of an eye full not having any paragraphs. It seemed to just keep going and not separate main ideas. Good blog information.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra,
    I loved the blog information. Its unfortunate that you had to go through the extreme diet, but you live and learn. I would have loved to see a before and after picture. Good job!

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra,
    The fact that you lost weight is great. It takes alot to put your experience out there like that, especially such a scary one as anorexia. I'm glad that you got that situation taken care of, and thanks for sharing. Good luck with yor future weight lose, be patient, it will come!
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra,
    I'm glad to hear that you are getting healthy the healthy way. I thought this was well written and inspirational to those of us who are also struggling with weight loss. Nice job.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendra,
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I am in the process of a pretty large weight loss myself and I am loving it! I am so glad to hear that you found something that works for you! I enjoyed reading, and will look forward to your next blog!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendra,

    good job on setting yourself a goal and sticking with it, it shows you are determined to accomplish your goal of weight loss. Thanks for sharing such personal information in order to provide something to back your information with.
    Like the others, I'd add paragraphs,
    other than that good job.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. Yes I see now that the paragraphs did not keep indented when I posted sorry about that. It has been a constant struggle and there are many ways in which the gym can pay off. Sometimes I think it has helped me more mentally than physically. To all of you out there that are trying to loose weight good luck!! Maybe at the end of the semester we can all share how far we have come!!

    Thanks,
    Kendra McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kendra,

    As stated earlier, the paragraphs were quite an eyesore unfortunately. I have troubles with the indentation of the paragraphs in my postings; what you could do is separate the paragraphs with a blank line. As another approach which increases usability, you could also add paragraph headings so that people know what the paragraph is centered around a little bit before reading the paragraph.

    I noticed you talked a lot about you throughout the article, but some occasions you listed information that you could have supported with sources to give you credibility in your article.

    Also make sure to double check spelling and grammar; I noticed one or two mistakes(I always mess up in grammar but do make sure to check spelling at least).

    The list at the end you could have made a bulleted or a numbered list to help with the layout of the page. Also I liked that you compared the before and after eating habits you have. I thought that was a good idea, but in my opinion I felt maybe adding it at the end isn't the best approach. Maybe adding it after the paragraph where you said you were doing things in a healthy fashion would have been a better idea.

    Overall I liked the content of the article, but the rest could use a little more attention in my opinion. I really liked you using yourself as the main point of the article.

    Rich Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendra,
    THank you for sharing you personal story with us. Good luck in your journey
    Christina Chinchock

    ReplyDelete
  11. No problem I enjoy sharing. I know the paragraphs were not indented after I posted it I was in a hurry that evening and did not preview my work. Sorry!

    Kendra McCracken

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kendra,
    Congratulations on how far you've come. You shouldbe so proud of yourself. Your blog was helpful because my husband is struggling with loosing weight.This helped to motivate him and gave him so ideas to help with his weight loss.I agree with everyone else about everything running together but it was still well written.
    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendra, thanks for sharing something so personal here. The message was so strong because of your honesty and your experience. Losing weight is hailed as the greatest thing you can do for your health, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Thanks for reminding us of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kendra,
    Your personal message was very inspiring. We all want to loose weight but we must remember the healthy way is better over time then harming ourselves.
    Eric Cogovan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kendra,
    This is a powerful story and I am glad you are on the right path now to good health. Good luck on your journey.

    Ruth Hall

    ReplyDelete