Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh, My Back!

By Donald Findley 
                Inflammation!  If you live in the northeast especially in the winter you are familiar with what this is, and the pain that comes along with it.  Shoveling snow is one of the main causes of inflammation in the back during the winter.  There is nothing worse than waking up in the morning to ten inches of snow, and having to go out and shovel it before you are able to even go to work.  This is a job all in its own.  However, with just the simplest wrong turn of the back or just lifting without bending your legs you get this shooting pain in your lower back.  You stand up and attempt to stretch it out and most people go to the medicine cabinet for that old standby drug ibuprofen.  This is exactly what happened to me this past week, but I did not take the ibuprofen I chose to go the natural path of healing.  Here is what I did.  I hope it helps you.
            The first thing I did was apply an ointment of arnica (Arnica montana) to my lower back from just above the painful area to just below and off to both sides of the jabbing pain.  This ointment helps with the muscle pain due to the spasm that was occurring, secondary to my foolish lifting with my back rather than my legs.
            I like to use skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora,photograph above) when I am suffering from muscle inflammation like strains it works similar to ibuprofen but works more on inhibiting cyclooxygenase 2 (COX 2)  not COX 1 like ibuprofen.  Cyclooxygenase is an enzyme that causes inflammation. COX 2 is the one that is in the inflamed tissue and COX 1 is more in the gastrointestinal tract (Eustice, 2009, para. 1-2).
            Licorice (Glycyrrhiza globra), also known by the Chinese name of Gan Cao, is an excellent anti-inflammatory herb and has been used for thousands of years to treat arthritis.  It works by making the body produce two different steroids, cortisone and aldosterone, which both help to relieve inflammation in the body naturally (Mindell, 1992, p. 126).  Gan Cao should not be taken by people that suffer from hypertension secondary to the release of the aldosterone, that can raise your blood pressure even higher (p. 127)!
            The final thing that I did was the ice and heat application to the painful area.  You should alternate between the two and only leaving them in place for about 20 minutes at a time, as well as making sure that you have a barrier between the skin and the compress to ensure that it does not cause more harm than good.
            I used the herbs for 2 days, the ice and heat for only the first day, and the pain and discomfort was gone by the end of the second day.  I hope that my experience and treatment helps guide you to a natural way of treating your inflamed back muscles.
Sources
Eustice, C. (2009). What you need to know about cyclooxygenase. Retrieved February 25, 2011 from http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoarthritismedications/a/cyclooxygenase.htm
Mindell,E (1992). Earl Mendell’s herb bible. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster/ Fireside.

14 comments:

  1. Donald,

    I think you have cited sources very well in your blog post and it's great you healed yourself as well. It's interesting to hear people who have found remedies of their own useful. good job.

    ALISON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, thanks for the interest in my blog and for the nice comment.
    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Work - I know exactly how you feel - and I think that everyone can at least empathize with this problem. I am anxious to try the suggested remedies. Thanks for the great info!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don,

    I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. I know from experience that hurting your back can be crippling. It's good to know that there is something that can be done to ease and shorten the pain. Nice job.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. NDN and Samantha,
    Thanks for the nice comments. I am a big believer in using herb to help heal us. The use of medication is way out of control, and years after taking the medications we end up finding out that it has a side effect worse than what we were taking the drug for in the first place.My view is stock up on the herb cabinet and thin out the medicine cabinet.
    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don
    I will keep some of this in mind next time I get back pain. Have you ever tried Lavender Batheraphy? Just add a handful and soak in the hot tub.

    Ruth Hall

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, no I have not tried it,thanks for the suggestion.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Don, First off, glad you're feeling better. You have to take care of your back now so you don't end up like me needing back surgery. Besides a herniated disc, I had a degenerative problem and had to have two vertebrae fuzzed along with some other things. Trust me, you don't want that. Good job with the remedies. We all should work on strengthening our core muscles and watch how we lift to prevent back problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank,
    Thanks for your comment. I agree we all need to increase the strength in our backs and watch how we lift things up, body mechanics is very important.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don, this is a great post, and you obviously received some great feedback here. I'm finding this entire blog really interesting, to be honest. Your group is doing really well in covering some topics that genuinely help people. You should all be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don,
    Great article, wonderful blog as always. I believe trying to naturally cure anything as well. Medications are so overused!! Where could we get some of these natural remedies?

    Suzanna Harmening

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts all seem to be very good. I enjoy reading them all. I'm glad to see that there are others that also prefer not to use drugs to treat every illness they suffer from. I know that there are a great array of things I do that just wear my back out. Shoveling that snow is definitely one of them and is one of my top 10 things that just ruin my back for days on end.

    Richard Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone,
    Thank you all for your encouraging words on my blog post. I hope others can take some part of what I post and try them to better them selves without use of medication. Thank you all.

    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I encourage people to visit their closest natural food store and search the net for deals because some of the remedies can be expensive. There deals out there on the internet, but everyone should do research into what herbs would be best for them.
    Don Findley

    ReplyDelete